Welcome!

I will be documenting the construction of our pole barn home. We decided to build because we had been in the same mobile home for many years. The main reason I started this blog was to help others. When we first started out, we looked for information to help "Do It Yourself" people such as us but didn't find much on the web. With the exception of the concrete foundation work and enclosing the structure, we are doing all the work ourselves. But we have been blessed with family members and friends who have helped us a great deal. We broke ground in July 2006 and we moved in October 2007. If you want to read more about the details of our plans, click here.
Think of this site as a diary of DIY home construction.


Update January 2009:
Hi friends, I had made my blog private for some time but have decided to open it back up again. I was way too busy with other things. I am happy to report we have moved in but still have much to do to complete things. There is still trim to put up, some grouting to do, a few more floors to finish but more on this later. I am in the process of redoing this blog and just wanted to thank everyone for visiting :)

March 6, 2009

Garage Sale Finds

A few months ago I came upon a huge garage sale. This place had tons of stuff and amongst the goodies there I found these four
outhouse paintings. I gave 2.00 for all of them. Right now I have 2 in the small bath and 2 in the master bath. I love to shop garage sales but seldom have the time. I also love thrift stores. You can find so many useful and beautiful things and why pay big money
when you can shop at a thrift store for a fraction of the price? Saving money, especially in
these turbulent economic times is really on the top of my agenda right now. For a long time I have preferred to buy clothes at consignment shops rather than buying new. If I can find a top quality consignment shop I could stay there for hours sorting through the clothes. Most of my friends are the same way. We can have a ball going to garage sales, thrift stores and consignment shops. At the same sale, I found this small lamp. I filled it with potpourri I had at the house.My latest money-saving project is making fire starters. I save my paper egg cartons, dryer lint and left over scented wax candles. I fill those egg cartons up with dryer lint then pour my melted scented wax leftovers from my candles over the lint. Then just tear them apart and store them in a folger's plastic coffee can. You won't believe how good those smell when you take the lid off of the can. The highly scented candles work the best. I like to buy products such as clothes soap, dryer sheets/fabric softener, trash bags and paper products from the dollar store. Most of the other items on my weekly shopping list I get at Wal-mart. In comparing prices, I find there IS a difference - the dollar store is much cheaper on paper products and even some grocery items but you have to shop around. Make a list of those things you use daily and shop around a bit. It's worth it when you make note at the end of the week what you spent and where.

No comments: